Saturday, February 28, 2004

Guantanamo tribunals

What is the freaking point?

Pentagon officials have confirmed that Guantanamo detainees may still be kept in detention, even if they are found not guilty by a military tribunal.

They say detainees could be kept prisoner if they are considered a security risk.

If found guilty, they could also be held beyond any sentence laid down by the tribunal.
  article

I am so looking forward to my trip to Venezuela in April, but I am also feeling some dread. What on earth can I possibly say if I am asked to defend my country's actions - on pretty much anything? Without even being asked to do so, I am going to feel an incredible sense of shame on behalf of my government. Perhaps the extent of Spanish I'm going to need is simply how to say, "I am so very, very sorry."

I am getting more and more pissed at our government for putting us in this position - we can no longer visit any other country in the world and not be immediately associated with incredible corruption, hyprocisy and injustice.

At least we can still go abroad.

For now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!