Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Compassionate

Billmon has a great pointed comment on the ads at the Bush campaign website:




And when Shrub and his Morality Police get to feeling really compassionate, Cindy, maybe they'll think up a constitutional amendment for you -- or better yet, repeal one, like that pesky XIX. Because if God had meant for women to vote, he would have made them men, right?

But what I actually wanted to point out is that Bush 2004 has a really nifty letter-writing tool, which allows you to e-mail a letter to the newspapers in your area. You just enter your zip code and the site automatically generates a menu of regional newspapers -- helpfully ranked both by proximity and circulation.

You pick the papers you want, type in your letter -- or cut and paste the paragraphs of boilerplate Bush propaganda helpfully provided -- then click, and voila! your letter to the editor is on its way to every newspaper on your list.

I'm told, although I haven't checked myself, that this is a much more sophisticated feature than anything you'll find on the DNC or the Kerry campaign's web sites -- and even more technologically impressive than Bush 2004's fully robotized campaign blog. I'm also told by someone who's tested the letter-to-the-editor tool that the e-mails it generates do not identify the letter sender as a Bush supporter (which, in light of what I have in mind, is actually more the pity.)

Now it occurred to a Whiskey Bar reader that anybody -- including Democrats, progressives, gays, brights and other second-class citizens -- could use this GOP-funded tool to write and send our own letters to the editors, courtesy of the Bush campaign.

I think it would be highly appropriate to use Bush's tool ... let me rephrase that. I think it would be highly appropriate to launch a letter-writing campaign opposing Bush's Unequal Rights Amendment, using the Bush campaign's letter writer as our tool. As it happens, the Human Rights Campaign has some sample text you can cut and paste to create a letter.

Or, you can adapt the form letter that the HRC is asking people to send to Congress.

The Lambda Defense Fund also has a sample letter to the editor -- very short and to the point.

Or, if you're so inclined, be creative -- write your own letter, using your own words. That's what I plan to do.

Then just pay a visit to our friendly cyberneighbors over at the Bush campaign web site and borrow their letter-writing tool. I'm sure they won't mind.

Just tell 'em Cindy sent you.

Update 11:20 PM ET: A reader notes that using the Bush 2004 letter writer will leave a cookie on your computer, and give the campaign access to some personal info -- whatever your browser is permitted to provide.

Now personally, I'm pretty sure I'm already on lots of electronic lists -- FBI/NSA/ DHS etc. So I'm not going to break a sweat about being on one more. Heck maybe I'll even get a greeting card next Christmas (ideally, one with a lame duck on the cover).

You can nuke Bush's cookie after you're done with your letters. But if giving Big Brother that kind of access to your computer makes you nervous, you may want to send your letters the old fashioned way.

Then you'll only have the postal service and the Patriot Act to worry about.


You go Billmon.

I have a few political points of divergence from Billmon, but there's really no better blogger, in my opinion. And he understands economics. I'm a dedicated daily Whiskey Bar reader. I highly recommend it. And, since I have just effected a blogging no-no by essentially lifting his entire post (mea culpa), please visit his site as often as you can. You can tell him YWA sent you, but try not to tell on me for lifting his post.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!