Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Larry Wilkerson Doesn't Know Dick

Col. Lawrence Wilkerson told Democracy Now‘s Amy [...] “I, unfortunately — and I’ve admitted to this a number of times, publicly and privately — was the person who put together Colin Powell’s presentation at the United Nations Security Council on 5 February, 2003,” Wilkerson said. “It was probably the biggest mistake of my life. I regret it to this day. I regret not having resigned over it.”

[...]

“Colonel Wilkerson, do you think the Bush administration officials should be held accountable in the way that Glenn Greenwald [ed: see this post] is talking about?” Goodman asked.

“I certainly do,” Wilkerson replied. “And I’d be willing to testify, and I’d be willing to take any punishment I’m due. And I have to say, I agree with almost everything [Greenwald] said. And I think that explains the aggressiveness, to a large extent, of the Cheney attack and of the words like ‘exploding heads all over Washington.’ This is a book written out of fear, fear that one day someone will ‘Pinochet’ Dick Cheney.”

Raw Story

I have no sympathy for either Colin Powell or Colonel Wilkerson. They did what they did so they could retain their power. Nobody was holding a gun to their heads. They could have chosen to be honest and exercise a little integrity. Had they done so, hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis and American soldiers might be alive today. The whole world might be different in very real and improved ways. They chose not to.

Dick Cheney may be attempting to write history in his favor, but he isn’t afraid of being Pinchoeted. Pinochet wasn’t. I'll wager he never gave the possibility of being tried as a war criminal a second thought. No despot ever does. Dick Cheney is no different. Except his health is worse, and he’ll die long before anyone with any power seriously considers that maybe he should have been tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!