Saturday, May 15, 2004

Revenge for shrine damage

Of course they are calling for revenge for damage to their holy shrine in Najaf.

Militia members blamed the Americans for the damage to the mosque, but Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the chief U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said al-Sadr's men probably were responsible: "I can just tell you by the looks of where we were firing and where Muqtada's militia was firing, I would put my money that Muqtada caused it."


Even if the juvenile response of General Kimmitt is correct, what difference could that possibly make? I mean in the real world. If there weren't American forces in the area, there wouldn't have been any damage to the shrine. I don't think it would take a lot of forethought to imagine that military action in and around holy shrines would provoke retaliatory action. But that's just me.

....and hey, do what you want....you will anyway.