Thursday, May 27, 2004

Jon Stewart - Honorary PhD

His Speech at William & Mary is marvellous.

But today isn’t about how my presence here devalues this fine institution. It is about you, the graduates. I’m honored to be here to congratulate you today. Today is the day you enter into the real world, and I should give you a few pointers on what it is. It’s actually not that different from the environment here. The biggest difference is you will now be paying for things, and the real world is not surrounded by three-foot brick walls. And the real world is not a restoration. If you see people in the real world making bricks out of straw and water, those people are not colonial re-enactors — they are poor. Help them. And in the real world, there is not as much candle lighting. I don’t really know what it is about this campus and candle lighting, but I wish it would stop. We only have so much wax, people.

Lets talk about the real world for a moment. We had been discussing it earlier, and I…I wanted to bring this up to you earlier about the real world, and this is I guess as good a time as any. I don’t really know to put this, so I’ll be blunt. We broke it.


Read the whole thing.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

P.S. I'm sorry that I'm not acknowledging whose blog I got this link from. I connected to it, and then got sidetracked - oh, about four hours ago. But thanks, whoever found it.