Tuesday, May 25, 2004

The Dufus speaks

And Maru can't watch.

Bunnypants: we will stay the course
Now watch this drive...

I couldn't watch. I was in enough pain. I turned on CNN afterwards, but immediately switched back to Dung Beetles: Is There Nothing They Can't Do? when I saw Paula 'Duh?' Zahn interviewing republicans Mitch 'it's Clairol!' McConnell and Joe the Loser Lieberman (snort).


But Josh Marshall stuck it out.

I saw Sen. Mitch McConnell tonight marvelling that so much will be accomplished in "a thousand days" in Iraq. He went on to compare this with the twelve years it took the Americans to get their affairs in order after the American Revolution, noting how much turmoil and chaos there was in the thirteen states in those days and thus, by comparison, how little historical sensibility Americans have today in their overly critical judgment of the progress in Iraq.

This is truly becoming almost a slur against our own history.
More

However, I'm not sure what Josh's point is. By the time he finishes, I'm inclined to think that Senator McConnell's marvelling was an understatement.

My take on it is that it's the most absurd pie in the sky to think that anything politically sound or worthwhile is going to take place in "a thousand days".