Tuesday, January 27, 2004

The third leading cause of deaths in the U.S. is....

Surprise! Doctors!

Via a Global Village News report forwarded to me, according to a website of Dr. Joseph Mercola:

According to an article by Dr. Barbara Starfield of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health appearing in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Causing 250,000 Deaths Every Year.

* 12,000 -- unnecessary surgery 8
* 7,000 -- medication errors in hospitals 9
* 20,000 -- other errors in hospitals 10
* 80,000 -- infections in hospitals 10
* 106,000 -- non-error, negative effects of drugs


And the AMA actually published this?

I have a comment on that last one (yes, I have comments on doctors and the AMA, but I'll leave that alone for now)..."non-error" is a bit misleading. The error was in prescribing the drug in the first place, if it turns out to be a fatal drug.

Prescription drugs as a last resort. Just a suggestion. There are other negative effects short of fatality.

And stay out of hospitals!

They're businesses, not healing centers.

Okay, and don't sue me. This is not professional advice - okay? Just reminding you that there are alternatives to the AMA way. But the AMA can't profit from them. So you'd also probably be an American way hater if you choose the alternative healing routes. Maybe you better just go on in to the hospital and take those drugs.

This and my last post were my public service announcements for January. Now let me get back to my politibitching.

....and you go do what you want....you will anyway.

I must have lost a cosmic debate last night in my astral travels. My attitude sucks this morning, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!