Monday, April 07, 2008

Punk McNasty

I learned this weekend that John McCain’s nickname at his (expensive private prep) high school was “Punk”, or “McNasty”. Either one fits, I think.

Here’s what he has to say about himself.

"I arrived [at Episcopal] a pretty rambunctious boy, with a little bit of a chip on my shoulder," McCain, now the presumed Republican nominee for president said Tuesday. "I was always the new kid, and was accustomed to proving myself quickly at each new school as someone not to be challenged lightly."

  ABC

Don't mess with McCain, eh?

The 1954 class did not see fit to distinguish "McNasty" in any notable category -- Brightest, Lady-Killer, Chummiest, Polite, Funniest, Popular, Admired, Likely to Succeed, Bull Slinger, Intellectual, Ambitious, or even, and perhaps to the surprise of many journalists or his competitors, Publicity Hound.

Instead, he took only second place in the category of "Thinks He's Hardest," presumably a knock on his tough-guy character.

Or something.

"As a young man," McCain admitted last Thursday, "I would respond aggressively and sometimes irresponsibly to anyone whom I perceived to have questioned my sense of honor and self-respect. Those responses often got me in a fair amount of trouble earlier in life."

"In all candor, as an adult I've been known to forget occasionally the discretion expected of a person of my years and station when I believe I've been accorded a lack of respect I did not deserve," McCain said.

"But I believe if my detractors had known me at Episcopal, they might marvel at the self-restraint and mellowness I developed as an adult. Or perhaps they wouldn't quite see it that way," he joked.

Being an asshole punk is always funny, isn't it, John? No matter how old you get. Ha ha. I knew guys like McCain in high school. And I’ve always imagined they got older, but not wiser, just like him.

John McCain's temper is well documented. He's called opponents and colleagues "shitheads," "assholes" and in at least one case "a fucking jerk."

But a new book on the presumptive Republican nominee will air perhaps the most shocking angry exchange to date.

The Real McCain by Cliff Schecter, which will arrive in bookstores next month, reports an angry exchange between McCain and his wife that happened in full view of aides and reporters during a 1992 campaign stop.

[...]

At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day.

  Raw Story

I don’t think that kind of thing is excusable or even explainable by “temper”.

Oh, and you’ll be really thrilled to hear this: Condi wants to be his VP. I’m guessing she’ll have to get in line behind Joe Lieberman.


....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.


2 comments:

  1. I’m guessing she’ll have to get in line behind Joe Lieberman.

    Why? So she can drill him with her big strap-on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well....that wasn't what i was thinking, but....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!