Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Politics Break

My boss, like me, loves to take pictures. Unlike me, he has a very expensive camera with lots of bells and whistles and lenses, and he actually knows how to use it. Here's one of his photos taken here on Galveston island. (Click on it to get a better view.)

There really is a lot of wonderful birdlife here. I’m enchanted by them all, but the pelicans may be my favorite. I suppose that could be simply because they’re big enough and move slowly enough to follow. They’re so much fun to watch making arrows of themselves and shooting into the water for food, but I especially like to watch them glide along the surface of the water just inches above. It amazes me how long they can glide through the air without flapping their wings. But then there’s those little guys that scurry along the shoreline dashing in and out with the tide – sandpipers? They actually make me laugh out loud. And those snowy white egrets with the brilliant yellow galoshes. I think I like the gulls for some of the very reasons so many people hate them. And there’s some large black birds that hang out in the trees and make four or five very different sounding calls – I used to think it was several different species instead of the same bird. I shouldn’t start naming favorites, because I’ll just think of another species that I like just as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!