Wednesday, March 03, 2004

No, I haven't forgotten about Iraq

Americans can expect more casualties in Iraq as extremists try to derail the transfer of authority and security responsibilities to a new government, the commander of coalition troops said Wednesday.

... [Gen. John Abizaid, head of U.S. Central Command] said "civil war is possible" if there are missteps by Iraqi political leaders or because extremists and outside fighters are trying to foment it.

"While I say it is possible, I do not believe it is probable," Abizaid said. "I think there is a much greater chance that Iraq will emerge through this political process as a stable and modern state."

... "The real story is not that there are people trying to derail this process," Rodman said. "The real story is that this process is moving forward regardless."
  article

General Abizaid is a glass half full kind of a guy.

And you should be ashamed of yourself for your pessimism.

If I thought TJ had the time, I'd have asked him to photoshop me a picture of Gen. Abizaid in his rose colored glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!