Tuesday, November 08, 2011

It's Truly Brutal in Oakland

Pepper spraying, tear-gassing, shooting and fracturing the skull of a veteran, severely beating a veteran who was walking home*, allowing an intentional hit and run motorist to go free, now they're shooting the filmers. I'm surprised that wasn't one of their first moves.

Oakland's cops should be traded in place for our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. They're obviously hungry for battle.

In a video published to YouTube, an unidentified protester holding a video camera, filming a police line during the early hours of Thursday, Nov. 3, is apparently shot with a rubber bullet even after repeatedly asking officers, “Is this okay?”

  Raw Story

I guess that answered his question.

*

The Guardian reported on Friday that a second Iraq War veteran is in intensive care in an Oakland Hospital, with a lacerated spleen allegedly resulting from a beating by police during the protests on Wednesday night.

[...]

Kayvan Sabehgi [a former Army Ranger who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan] told the paper that he was walking through central Oakland around midnight on Wednesday, trying to get away from the violent clashes that had broken out, when he came face to face with a line of police officers.

“They told me to move, but I was like: ‘Move to where?’” Sabehgi recalled. “There was nowhere to move. Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying ‘Why are you doing this?’ when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me.”

[...]

“My stomach was really hurting,” he says, “and it got worse to the point where I couldn’t stand up. … I was vomiting and had diarrhoea. I just lay there in pain for hours.”

[...]

When his bail was posted the following afternoon, he was in too much pain to leave his cell, so he was simply left lying on the floor until an ambulance was finally called, eighteen hours after his arrest. He was taken to a hospital, where he underwent surgery on Friday afternoon in an attempt to repair his spleen.

  Raw Story

UPDATE:

This video from CBS, which shows “black bloc” agitators in Oakland last week tussling with nonviolent Occupy protesters, seems like it should be getting more attention.

  Salon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!