Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Freedom's just another word

I always contend that there is no freedom if we don't have choice, and choice is dependent upon having all the information.

So, I heartily agree with Julie Hilden of Findlaw:

Free speech is worthless if you don't know what all the facts are -- or if you don't even know that there is something important you should be talking about in the first place.

I disagree with her, however, on another comment in that same article:

[Rumsfeld] has seemingly forgotten the First Amendment ideals of an informed press, and a public that is free to investigate, debate -- and in November, cast informed votes.

I don't think he's forgotten at all. I think he is absolutley counting on the public not having the freedom to investigate, debate, or cast informed votes. Where is the personal power in a situation like that?