Thursday, March 11, 2004

Venezuela's ambassador to the UK makes a statement

Okay, a little run on Venezuelan affairs here. But keep in mind that Venezuelan affairs may well soon be your affairs as the Bush administration continues to plot an overthrow. In all fairness, I must say that it's quite possible that a Kerry administration would continue with the same agenda there. We'll have to see if that time comes.

A few days ago I posted on the resignation of Venezuela's ambassador to the UN.

It seems that some pressure may be being brought to bear by anti-Chavists on the ambassador to the UK, Alfredo Toro Hardy, to do the same.

Definitely I have two options available: To get out of the play or to remain in it. The first alternative would be the easiest, appropriate to recover lost affections and friendships and not to see myself having to undergo a cross-fire of official suspicion and ill-willed antagonism by the opposition. I believe, nevertheless, that as long as the Constitutional thread is preserved and the possibility to function institutionally, it is my duty to remain firm.

I consider it necessary to be transparent. I understand that for the government it may be uncomfortable to have in its Foreign Service someone who is not identified with its political project. If it is that way, I am quite clear that the position of Ambassador is at the free disposition of the Head of State. But the opposition should not expect a resignation to their flag or in the heat of political fervor. As long as I may, I shall try to achieve some modest but resolute support on behalf of the continuity and the institutional structure of the State.
  VHeadline provides the full statement

Previous posts on Venezuela
More information on Venezuela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!