Sunday, July 03, 2011

Who Knew Interviewing Could Be So Difficult?

Check out this interview with Ed Milliband, Labor leader in Britain, regarding the current strikes over there in which he simply repeats the same verbage no matter the question. (The explanation given from most observers is that his handlers insist he 'stay on topic' to get a 10-second sound-bite out of the interview.) Read the snippet below from the person who did the interview only after you’ve listened to the clip.

Afterwards, I was overcome with a feeling of shame. I couldn’t look him in the eye.
But before I dried up completely, and had to be led out of Westminster with my mouth opening and shutting, I had an opportunity to ask one last question. I had an urge to say something so stupid, so flippant that he would either have to answer it, or get up and leave. `What is the world’s fastest fish?’ `Can your dog do tricks?’ `Which is your favourite dinosaur?’ But, of course, this was a pool interview, and I had no wish to feed out the end of my television career to Sky and the BBC.
I realise now, of course, the perfect question to ask, to embarrass him and to keep my job, I should have asked was whether the strikes were wrong, whether the rhetoric had got out of hand, and whether it was time for both sides to get round the negotiating table before it happened again.

  TwitLonger

Truly, that would have been the perfect question. Hysterical.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!