Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Is Yellowstone crankin' up or what?

Nell is keeping up pretty good so far. But she hasn't had a whole lot of mail to go through. Still, I'm confident she'll be able to handle things.

She forwards this response from a reader/blogger to the previous post I offered from a forwarded e-mail.

I lived in Montana for eight years, two of them in Gardner, a town on the northwest corner of Yellowstone Park. I used to swim in the hot springs every week. It's a well known fact to people in that area that the Park is hugely geothermal, and people there used to joke about how the Park's 60,000 years were almost up (supposedly it explodes every 60,000 years and it's been 59,000+ years since it last did). There is geological evidence to support this, including rock and ash from Yellowstone that was collected in Texas...

Anyway, there is no media conspiracy to obscure the danger, profits over people (gag me). In fact nobody knows for sure what's up with the Park, and everyone is hoping for the best, which is dumb in its own way. Because Boylan is right about one thing, something bad will eventually happen.


Dear Bozeman Kidd,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write. I appreciate your comments, and frankly, I always take Dr. Boylan's info with a grain of salt. I think he is a well-meaning man, and not a stupid one, by any means. However, I think he makes the same mistake many people in his circle make, and that is, the information that we get isn't always applicable on a strictly material basis in our current timeline.

So, anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, I might agree with you about Yellowstone, except I can't even go so far as to say "eventually". Of course, on the other hand, it could happen any moment. Life is so weird. Just when you think you can count on something, the sun rises in the West. Know what I mean? But it's kind of fun to think of those wacky Californians as being the ultimate daredevils...what'll get them first? Volcano? Earthquake? Arnold & Ken Lay? It's okay. I used to live in San Francisco - for 12 years. California's just a different planet. Not a bad one. My good friend still lives there. She used to say she was staying put, no matter, and when the next "big one" was over and the town was in rubbles, she'd have squatter's rights.

We're due for a "big one" here in Missouri, ourselves. In fact, it's speculated that it will be far more devastating than anything San Francisco has seen. On the New Madrid fault. It seems to me that there was a prediction and a scare about that just a few years ago. And we're still here. (Which probably just chafes some of the other states.)

60,000 years? So, extrapolating from my co-worker's sister's two-week overdue baby, how many years fudge factor would that give us?

Somebody! I don't do math. And neither does Nell.

Thanks again, BKidd. Good luck and best wishes. Blog on and keep us informed.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!