Sunday, December 21, 2003

Our noble men and women in uniform

In light of Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" issue...

From all the reports coming back from Iraq, it is increasingly obvious that American soldiers are not the troops of valor that we like to believe they are. Blame it on their leadership if you like. Certainly that's plausible. But each one of those troops is ultimately responsible for his or her conduct. I'm getting a little tired of the platitudes and the excuses. I don't expect them to be heroes. I do expect them to be just and honorable people in an unjust and dishonorable situation.

I'm sure there are good stories to report. I know some guys over there. I like to think they are honorable. There are, however, far too many disturbing stories coming back of inexcusable conduct. And phony stories of wondrous deeds. The soldiers aren't responsible for those stories, but they are certainly responsible for their behavior.

Just following orders is not acceptable.

I have gotten yet another reminder today in an email that I am supposed to believe that my freedom and privileges are resting upon the soldiers who are laying down their lives in Iraq. They are fighting for my freedom.

That is pure bullshit. They are not fighting for my freedom. If they want to do that, then I suggest they get their butts back over here and do it, because my freedoms are being chipped away on a regular basis by the criminals in the administration right here in my own country.

My freedoms are being fought for by all the bloggers and web authors and independent journalists and dissenters and protestors and civil rights activists who are here in this country trying to tell the truth and hold back the tide of AssKKKroft's minions and Double-face's apologists.

So don't be trying to make me feel guilty if I don't rah-rah-rah the war machine in Iraq.

I'm here fighting for your freedom, bub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!