Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thinking Back

LaBelle: Could I possibly be more disappointed in Barack Obama? Doesn't seem possible. I wish I could stand face to face with him and tell him exactly that.

That would be interesting. Honestly, I don't think it would penetrate. It seems that the ego required for a person to actively seek the presidency these days most likely precludes that person from being introspective rather than self-absorbed. Sometimes that self-absorption can include a relatively small subset - i.e. one's immediate family. But it's still about the self.

I just watched the original David Frost interview of Richard Nixon. Talk about a self-absorbed psycopath. I wonder if he went into the job as completely bat-shit psychotic as he left it. I guess the dazzlingly total self-absorption of George W made me forget what a sick pathetic creature Nixon was. But at least back in Nixon's day, there were still citizens who could be shocked by and disapproving of criminal conduct by their president. And enough members of Congress willing to impeach on an impeachable offense rather than a poltical ruse. And there were still competent journalists with some integrity. We're short on all three these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!