Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Oh. My. God.

Of course this is no surprise, but it is incredible that he's still allowed to hold the office.

I'm about a week behind on this story, but here are some quotes from Buttie's talk to the RTNDA:

[On the Federal Shield Law for Reporters:]

Don’t know enough about the law. I know the case you’re referring to. It’s a criminal case where there’s been allegations where someone has violated the civil rights of an individual working or exposed this person to danger as a result of someone talking to the press. It’s a very serious matter. Some of us have been involved in this, as you know, so I’m not going to talk about specifics of the case. On the other hand, maybe it will never get resolved. On the one hand, it’s a difficult tightrope to accuse somebody of doing something criminal, and then not be willing to step forward with the information.

[...]

There is a lot of sourcing here in Washington DC that never gets called into account. I mean, a lot. I’d say it’s a million to one. That would be the ratio.

[...]

We’re constantly trying to find “the source in the White House,” the unidentified source. Seems like to me the balance is just right when you think about it. If you think about all the unnamed sources in Washington, D.C., that affect a lot of stories, relative to the actual number of reporters that have actually been called into account. I’m sure your organization wants no reporters called into account. I don’t know what the right balance is. On the other hand, I don’t know what the law says, so I can’t tell you if I’m for it or against it.

Aside from the fact that he feels the balance is "just right", while simultaneously not knowing what the "right balance" is, keep his total unconcern about the contents of the Federal Shield Law in mind when you get to the related First Amendment question.
The hardest thing I have to do is sit down as the President with loved ones who’ve either lost a soul or have a wounded person, severely wounded [in Iraq]. I try to do a lot of it. It’s my obligation as the President. It’s an amazing experience. First of all, I’m a crier, and I weep a lot. On the other hand, when it’s all over, I feel incredibly strengthened by the strength of the parents or the wife or the kids.

I attribute this to the volunteer army. I would strongly urge any President never to institute the draft. The volunteer army, the kid you’re talking about in Toledo, or wherever he’s from, he volunteered. He said, “I’m ready to go.” That’s a lot different from an era where a lot of people didn’t want to go.

[...]

I’d say I’d spend most of my time worrying about right now people losing their life in Iraq. Both Americans and Iraqis. I worry about my girls. I used to worry about my wife, until she hit an 85% popularity figure. Now she’s worried about me….

[...]

You know one of the most amazing experiences for me, as a dad, and my wife is the day I was to have the little girls, Barbara and Jenna, actually campaign with me for the first time ever. It was kind of like a camping trip I promised to take them on and they finally got to go on. It was a fantastic experience, and I think they got a sense of the purpose of why somebody like me would ask them to sacrifice their privacy. There’s a reason for running. That’s part of the campaign. You explain to people, “Vote for me. I’ll do this. Vote for me. I’ll work on Social Security reform.”

You know, I don’t worry all that much, other than what I just described to you. I attribute that to … I’ve got peace of mind.

[...]

I’m sleeping pretty good. Seriously. I get asked that. There’s times when I hadn’t been. I’ve got peace of mind. Thanks.

Good God.
Obviously this is an important issue for all of us – what the public should know, and what the public shouldn’t know. Look, I’m a First Amendment guy. Anyone running for President is a First Amendment person. You gotta honor that. How can you not be a First Amendment guy? I was out there raising heck as a challenger. I told that to Mubarak [Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak] today, “If you want a free election, let them speak out. Let them speak out in the town square, as Natan Sharansky [former Israeli cabinet minister and frequent critic against his government on Palestinian affairs] would put it. A free society is where people feel free without retribution to speak. A good society is one where information flows to the people. We’re of the people.
The most secretive administration in the history of the United States. Ever.

The most retaliatory administration - smearing everyone who dares to speak against Buttie Company.

Plus, you can't even get into a town square with Mr. First Amendment without a GOP card and a rehearsal.

Now, how does that first remark about not even knowing what the Shield Law says jibe with being a "First Amendment guy?"
Let me talk about a couple of broader civil liberties unions that relate to free speech, for example.
Don't ask me. Civil liberties unions?
I tell you an interesting ethical dilemma that the President has to deal with. And that is, if you’re in my shoes, and you thought Abu Farraj al-Libbi had planned an attack on America, would you use any means necessary to get the information from him? And the decision I have made is “No, we will not.” And let’s just pray he doesn’t have that information. And when I told the American people we’re not torturing, we’re not torturing. But try that on for an interesting ethical dilemma as the President of the United States.
I'm sorry. The man should be in a mental care facility, not in the office of the President of the United States.

"We're of the people."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!