Friday, August 27, 2004

Personal liberty

I just saw a bumper sticker: At least I can still smoke in my car!

Now, I'm jumping to a conclusion here, but I have a feeling that is the sentiment of the typical get-government-off-my-back Republican. What seems to go along with that is other complaints like the Republican Missouri farmers have: don't tell me what I can and can't do on my own land. Don't tell me what I can't put in the ground or in my ravines or in the creeks that pass through my land. I own it.

Meanwhile, those same people seem to overwhelmingly be the ones who want the government to ban gay marriages and abortion.

I just don't quite get that. It's okay to do things like smoke in public and put toxic pollutants into the air or chemicals into the groundwater that go downstream to other people - things that affect many other people, but it's not okay to have a private relationship with a person of the same sex or to make decisions that affect your own body and nobody else's - things that don't affect public health.

Go figger.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!