Friday, August 27, 2004

Overclassified

Witnesses at a House subcommittee hearing into the Sept. 11 commission finding that secrecy undermines anti-terrorism efforts cited numerous examples of wrongful classification, The Associated Press reports. Examples include a dictator's cocktail preferences, a plot against Santa Claus and a study that showed that 40 percent of Army gas masks leaked. Other examples were given of classification made in error or to save face. "We have too much overclassification: it's an outrage," Rep. Christopher Shays (R-Conn) told Government Executive. "I will get classified briefings that are silly. They tell me nothing I don't already know, but then they prevent me from discussing what I already know."
Source (with links): Behind the Homefront

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!