Thursday, June 16, 2011

Juan Cole is Shocked

Eminent National Security correspondent at the New York Times James Risen has been told by a retired former official of the Central Intelligence Agency that the Bush White House repeatedly asked the CIA to spy on me with a view to discovering “damaging” information with which to discredit my reputation.

[...]

It seems to me clear that the Bush White House was upset by my blogging of the Iraq War, in which I was using Arabic and other primary sources, and which contradicted the propaganda efforts of the administration attempting to make the enterprise look like a wild shining success.

  Juan Cole

Yes, but for as much anti-Iraq war posting and speaking that Cole did, he didn’t get much attention, except in very progressive circles. I read and quoted him regularly for a long time, but we all know how important and widely read my blog is. So it seems kind of strange to me that the Bush White House was bothering with him. Maybe they were just being prepared in case Cole started garnering serious attention.

[These] revelations come as a visceral shock.

[...]

I am dismayed at how easy it seems to have been for corrupt WH officials to suborn CIA personnel into activities that had nothing to do with national security abroad and everything to do with silencing domestic critics. [...] I hope that the Senate and House Intelligence Committees will immediately launch an investigation of this clear violation of the law by the Bush White House and by the CIA officials concerned.

Hahahahaha. Oh, Juan, you are such a card.

What alarms me most of all in the nakedly illegal deployment of the CIA against an academic for the explicit purpose of destroying his reputation for political purposes is that I know I am a relatively small fish and it seems to me rather likely that I was not the only target of the baleful team at the White House.

Ya think? Ring, ring, ring…Hello, is this Valerie Plame?

Come on, Juan. You know the score.

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!