Saturday, May 30, 2009

War

I’ve been reading my diaries from when I taught English to Mexicans in Michoacan. This seems appropriate for this time…Well, for all time, really.

Last night they were a little less reserved about America's foreign policy. Somebody asked about "Blowin' in the Wind" - what cannon balls were. I explained cannon and added that unless you consider tank guns to be cannons, I didn't think we use cannons any more. Somebody said, "Yes, the Americans use them - mortar." And somebody else said, "Well, the Americans don't use them in America - only in other countries." Right. I said I was really sorry, and David said, "No. Don't worry about it. War is a business." The plain truth, for which I was sorry all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!