Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's Michelada Time

Miller beer has a new brew - at least they do here in Texas - called Miller Chill, which they advertise as...
an American take on the popular Mexican chelada, is the only light beer brewed with a hint of lime and a pinch of salt to provide a truly refreshing beer experience

I can save you the trouble. It's okay for an American beer. Not good, but okay. I'm comparing with Bud and the rest of the popular American swill.

When I was living in Tepoztlan, Morelos, Mexico, I discovered the brew that Miller's Chill is based on. Actually, Tepoztlan vendors serve what they call a michelada. It includes chili. I don't know where else they might serve it like that, as I didn't see it offered anywhere else in my central and central Pacific coast travels in Mexico, but everybody in Tepoztlan serves it. So, here's the recipe I use:

  • rub a lime around the rim of your beer glass and then coat it with a mixture of salt and chili powder (the rim of your beer glass - not the lime, Missourians)
  • squeeze one whole lime into your glass
  • put about 1/4 teaspon of the salt/chili powder mix in the bottom of your glass (do this before you put the beer in the glass, unless you're doing a volcano simulation for the kids
  • fill the glass with your favorite Mexican beer - the lights are not my favorite, and of the darker beers, I think Negra Modelo makes the best michelada
  • if you want it spiced up, put a drop or two of hot sauce in

Oh....yum, yum.

I spent the whole morning building a tall bedframe. I just hope I remember that when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I have a nagging feeling that I am going to hurt myself tonight. But the plus side is that, if I do, I'll have the perfect invalid's bed.

Okay, now I can look at today's news. If I get inspired to blog something, I'll post. But I may just make another michelada instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!