Friday, January 18, 2008

We've Got Canada Scared

The Canadian government has put the United States on a watch list of countries that could practice torture. The mention is made on a secret Canadian government document not intended for public release. The document cites the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay and lists U.S. interrogation techniques including “forced nudity, isolation, and sleep deprivation.” Other countries on the list include Israel, Syria, China, Iran and Afghanistan.

  Democracy Now!

And, speaking of torture, I hope the documentary "Taxi to the Dark Side" by Alex Gimbey who brought us "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room", gets a lot of play. I won't be able to watch it myself, as seeing images of torture makes me physically ill and unable to sleep (which, when you think about it, is probably the appropriate response), but I don't think this topic should stop being pushed to the public until the practice is stopped and amends are made, to such extent as they could ever be. I heard Gimbey say on a radio program that this documentary shows images worse than any of the Abu Ghraib photos that have been released, and that they decided against showing some that were even worse than the ones they do show. He says his goal in making this documentary is to provoke outrage. I hope he succeeds, but I am not holding my breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!