Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Christian principles

Billmon has a great post about one of the attorneys who drafted that Constitution-busting, torture-approving memo (see my previous post). A self-confessed devout Christian, U.S. Air Force's General Counsel, Mary L. Walker (brought to you in the DoJ by the Reagan administration).
Walker: "Making moral decisions in the workplace where it is easy to go along and get along takes courage. It takes moral strength and courage to say, 'I'm not going to do this because I don't think it's the right thing to do.'"

The report: Officials could escape torture convictions by arguing that they were following superior orders, since such orders "may be inferred to be lawful" and are "disobeyed at the peril of the subordinate."

And so there you have it: Mary L. Walker - Christian, Republican, Patriot, Torture Attorney.

I know my personal military hero, Gen. J.C. Christian, Patriot, is already married. But if he ever feels like emulating the prophets of old and taking unto him a concubine, as Abraham knew Hagar, I think this just might be the girl for him.


Like the good book says, "Do unto others"....

I think there are probably some Muslims willing to apply the Golden Rule in your case, Ms. Walker, if you'll just step this way to Abu Ghraib. (And take God's favorite crusader with you, as I'm sure he believes in the same Golden Rule.)

....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.