Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Advice Offered

Okay, even though I didn't get the advice I sought a few posts ago, it's only fair that after asking, I should in return give adivce. So here it is. Don't tell someone whose son joined the military that it will make a man out of him, unless it's another hillbilly whom you know would have the same ill (or non-) considered idea.

I imagine people only say that because they've heard other people saying it, without actually thinking about it. I recall when my elder son was a baby and the Viet Nam war was taking off. I heard people say joining the army would make men out of those draftees. The thing is, if they lived through it, they'd grow to be men, but so many of them died just as they were leaving boyhood.

Now that my younger son has joined the army, I've had two people say to me, "Great. It'll make a man out of him." They don't even know him. Never met him. He's already a man. He's 24 years old. And he's a fine man. He helps the other recruits and classmates at every opportunity. In fact, when he ponders the meaning of his life, he thinks that maybe his whole purpose is to help other people. I can't understand how he squares it all with joining the US Army - the world's most highly trained killing machine - but that's not up to me. That's up to him. But the army is not going to "make a man out of him." The army is going to make a soldier out of him. And the next person who makes that ridiculous statement to me is going to get that answer. What would they say if I had a daughter who joined?


....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.


2 comments:

  1. ok, since i've known your son since he was born i can say with complete confidence that he is already more of a 'man' than those who made that ridiculous statement. (i'm assuming it was men but then i might be wrong). but then again, my definition of a man might be entirely different than theirs. if by 'man' they meant a macho, homophobic, racist redneck ... well, we know our johnny won't ever be that.

    makes me cry.

    labelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, at least i've never heard anything racist or homophobic out of him, and other than his size, he doesn't come off as macho. he's always made friends easily, and they always come to him for advice. i do wonder what a tour in iraq might do to change him, but i'd bet on him changing others if i had to bet. he's reporting scuttlebut that the unit he's getting assigned to is going to be deployed to baghdad in september. it won't make him a man, but it's certain to affect him in ways that he probably can't yet imagine.

    makes me cry, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!