Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The dumbest president ever

I really can't say what is a good idea and what is a bad idea when we're talking Social Security reform, because I don't understand the ins and outs of financial accounts. On the other hand, I do recognize generalized stupidity.

I suspect that Buttie talks to his audiences as if they were children or have learning disabilities because that's they way things have to be explained to him. Why he says inappropriate things probably stems from the same cause: he's an imbecilic putz.

As I think about it some more, however, and notice the laugh and applause lines in these speeches, I can't be too sure the audience doesn't need to be spoken to in the same juvenile manner.

[...]

I thank Congressman Tom Reynolds. He's an effective United States Congressman who cares a lot about this district. (Applause.) I'm proud to call him friend. I'm proud to call Congressman Sherry Boehlert friend, as well. Sherry is from the district next door; I've known him for a long time. He's a good, thoughtful man. He's a fine United States congressman. (Applause.) Congressman Jim Walsh is with us today. He, too, is a fine United States congressman. (Applause.) And I was proud to be traveling with Congressman Randy Kuhl -- he's a freshman member of the House of Representatives, doing a great job. Thank you all for coming. (Applause.)

They want to ride on Air Force One. (Laughter.) Proud to make room for them. They want to ride back on Air Force One. (Laughter.) And they probably want a meal on Air Force One. Save up your appetite, fellows, you got a good meal coming.

[...]

[Laura's] doing great. She is on a trip promoting the freedom agenda.

[...]

If you’ve retired, you don’t have anything to worry about -- third time I’ve said that. (Laughter.) I’ll probably say it three more times. See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda. (Applause.)

[...]

Now, the system is pay-as-you-go -- that means when you pay in, we go ahead and pay out.

[...]

[If] you've worked all your life, that you should not retire in poverty. That's a principle that makes sense. We can design a system that supports that concept. And here's the way you do it: It's called progressive indexing. That's a Washington kind of thing, you know.

[...]

MR. BROWN: Well, I'm 18; I'm a sophomore at Canisius College, in Buffalo. (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: What's your major?

MR. BROWN: I'm dual-majoring in business marketing and business management.

THE PRESIDENT: Great. All A's?

MR. BROWN: Hopefully. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: Well, don't worry about it. That won't disqualify you from being President. (Applause.)

[...]

And finally, one other person [...] I'd like to introduce, is a woman named George-Ann Schauffele. George-Ann is a volunteer. And the reason I bring up people who volunteer is I want to remind you that the true strength of this country lies in the hearts and souls of our citizens; that if you want to be a participant in America, and in the future America, volunteer to make somebody's life better. Feed the hungry, help find shelter for the homeless. George-Ann is involved with the Literacy Volunteers of Rochester Program, helping somebody learn to read. I can't think of a better way to pass on a gift from one generation to the next than to mentor somebody, particularly somebody who needs to learn to read.

  White House Press Release

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
We're taking your money, we're spending it on current retirees, and in that more money is coming in that needs to go out for the retirees, we're spending on other programs.
Perhaps he didn't notice he said that. Seems like a logical place to fix the program to me.
THE PRESIDENT: You are Audrey Ceglinski.

MRS. CEGLINSKI: That's right. I'm a 70-year-old widow.

THE PRESIDENT: Don't ever say your age. (Laughter.)

MRS. CEGLINSKI: Oh, that's -- I have no problem. Don't ask me my weight, though.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay. (Laughter and applause.) Reminds me of my mother. (Laughter.)

[...]

THE PRESIDENT: Fantastic. Debbie, welcome.

MRS. BROWN: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for coming. Mom did a good job, didn't she?

MRS. BROWN: Yes, she did.

THE PRESIDENT: So what was it like growing up? Was Mom pretty tough, a disciplinarian?

MRS. BROWN: Yes, she was. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: Well, then you and I share the same thing. (Laughter.)

I wonder if Babs is laughing.

I wouldn't recommend you read this whole thing, but it's a great example of
Buttie's scripted "town hall" publicity ops. Everybody he talks to has been well rehearsed, as in every such meeting. People have been chosen to participate in the "discussion" according to the points to be made. What great luck to find in this audience three members of one family who could be examples of three different ways a person could lose out on Social Security as it is currently stuctured.

In some of these ridiculous appearances, Buttie can't even manage to return lines, but he managed to stay on track in this one and even re-rail one of the participants who stumbled on her line. And he keeps telling each one as they finish their performance, "Thanks for coming. You did a good job."

"Catapult the propanganda."

"The freedom agenda."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!