Friday, June 12, 2009

Ike Recovery

I wasn't in Galveston for the hurricanes before Ike, but there were a couple of others that were pretty bad in the recent past. I don't think any of them ate Murdoch's the way Ike did... ...but they tell me that Murdoch's has been seriously damaged before and always returns. I'm so glad.

They're working on it now with signs that say it will be open in the spring of 2010. I hope they have different contractors/subcontractors/laborers than we've got where I work. But, I'm going to be optimistic for them. Yippee. Murdoch's is rising from the ashes.

Sadly, the historic Balinese Room will not be resurrected. All that's left of it is the stubs of some support posts way out in the water. They've put up a plaque in its place on the street.

And sadly, many, if not most, of our old live oaks (I think I heard 60%) are going to have to be cut down. The island will look a lot different without them. Especially Broadway. I'm going to really miss these old beauties.

But, we still have our sunrises.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!