Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Bush lackey Bully Boy Bolton about to be confirmed as UN ambassador

Senator Biden at Bolton's confirmation hearing:
[Q]uite frankly, I'm surprised that the nominee wants the job that he's been nominated for, given the many negative things he had to say about the U.N., international institutions, international law.

Now, you're going to have an opportunity to respond to all these kinds of things that are taken -- that are attempted to be in context, but I'm just going to cite some of the things you said and they'll be put in context during the question-and-answer period. You said there's no such thing as the United Nations. Quote, "There's no such thing as the United Nations." You said, and I quote, that -- excuse me -- you said that if you removed 10 stories from the 38-story U.N. headquarters, quote, "it wouldn't make a bit of difference," end of quote.

You said that if the Security Council were remade today, that you would have only one permanent member, the United States. You said that international law really isn't, quote -- that really isn't law and that, quote, "while treaties may well be politically or even morally binding, they are not legally obligatory," end of quote.

You said the International Court of Justice, a body created under the U.N. Charter, is a, quote, "travesty and a pretend court," end of quote.

You said that the peace enforcement operations and nation building should, quote, "be relegated to history's junk pile at the first opportunity," end of quote, because they result in, as you said, quote, "American personnel and resources being committed to U.N. operations far removed from America's vital interests," end of quote, even though they wouldn't be there unless we -- if we didn't want them there, we could veto the effort.
  NY Times article
[...]


BOLTON: The administration has submitted the Law of the Sea Treaty as one of its priorities, and I support that.
SARBANES: Simply because it’s an administration position, or does that represent your own view of it?
BOLTON: Well, I haven’t personally read the Law of the Sea Treaty. I don’t think I’ve ever read it, to be honest with you.

[...]

BOLTON: The administration’s position has been to support Taiwan becoming an observer in the WHO.

SARBANES: Is that your position?
BOLTON: Yes, I support that position.
SARBANES: I thought you supported them being a member?
BOLTON: As I said before, when I wrote as a private citizen during the 1990s, that’s what I said. And when I wrote it then, I understood it. The president has made his policy on this very clear and I support his policy.

[...]

BOLTON: I’m not a golfer, but I think the metaphor is You have to play it as it lays. And I know what the president’s policy is and I’m prepared to follow it.
  Bolton testimony quoted at Think Progress

Carl Ford Jr., a former chief at the State Department's bureau of intelligence and research, denounced Bolton as a "kiss-up, kick-down sort of guy" who directed an abusive tirade at analyst Christian P. Westermann for questioning whether Cuba was developing biological and chemical weapons.
  Yahoo News article
....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!