Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Looking Back

Bush is using his last days in the Oval Office (I'm almost afraid to say that in fear of jinxing it) by taking a vacation to Europe.

Q Mr. President, on the way to Europe, you gave a very interesting interview for The Times newspaper in which you basically said that you regret your war rhetoric. Now I'm wondering, do you actually just regret your war rhetoric, or do you regret having gone to war with Iraq?

PRESIDENT BUSH: I don't regret it at all. Removing Saddam Hussein made the world a safer place. And yes, I told the guy -- the guy said, now what could you do over? First of all, you don't get to do things over in my line of work. But I could have used better rhetoric to indicate that one, we tried to exhaust the diplomacy in Iraq; two, that I don't like war. But, no, the decision to remove Saddam Hussein was the right decision.

  press conference transcript

What world is safer without Saddam, he didn't say. And all worlds can get down on their knees and thank whatever gods they choose that he doesn't get a chance to do things over.

I'd say he seems to have succeeded brilliantly in exhausting the diplomacy. It hasn't been seen or heard from near Iraq in any meaningful manner since he took office. Perhaps we should look for it in a Swiss sanitarium.

And yes, I think if he wanted to convey the idea that he doesn't like war, he made some major "rhetorical" missteps. "I hit the trifecta!", "Fuck Saddam, we're taking him out!", "Bring 'em on!", "Kick ass!", and "Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! Prevail! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!" - to name a few.


....but hey, do what you want....you will anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. There may be some delay before your comment is published. It all depends on how much time M has in the day. But please comment!